Ocean Medallion devices, which are the size of a 10 pence piece and weigh just 1.8 ounces, can be worn in the form of a wristband or pendant, or if you prefer, can be placed simply inside your pocket or bag. The technology uses a network of intelligent sensors which collect information provided by each guest then feeds into Ocean Compass, the platform for which the concierge service can be used. Ocean Compass can be accessed from anywhere on the ship, including onboard touchscreens, TV and your own mobiles. The data stored is based on individual preferences whereby you can choose how much or how little data is recorded for use in improving your overall experience.
What will this mean for you?
- Quick and easy access to the ship through a
streamlined embarkation and disembarkation process – you can upload your documentation
and set your preferences beforehand.
- Enter your stateroom as you approach, rather
than searching for a key card.
- Purchase merchandise without the need for any transaction.
- Whatever you want, whenever you want it – with Here
& NowSM, you can request items to be delivered to exactly where you are
located on the ship. And with There & ThenSM , you can pre-order items to be
delivered at a certain time, for example, have a glass of wine waiting for when you arrive at the evening’s show.
- Option to use Ocean Navigate, which can locate a member of your party from anywhere onboard, ensuring you never lose anyone in your group.
- An enhanced dining experience based on your individual preferences. Specific foods you can’t eat? Tell your medallion once, and never have to remind anyone again throughout the course of your trip. You’re a wine lover? How about being notified of any upcoming wine tasting activities.
How much do the medallions cost?
The Ocean Medallions are free and will be delivered to your home with a plastic wristband included. Additional accessories will be available to purchase including necklaces, keychains and bracelets.
Will the device need to be charged?
No, and there is no on or off button either, the medallion is simply the device which feeds into Ocean Compass. It is this platform where you can use the personalised concierge services through a TV, mobile device or on one of the touchscreens onboard.
Is my data secure?
Your information is saved on the Carnival Corporation systems rather than the medallion itself, which means that even if you lose your Ocean Medallion, your information cannot be obtained by the finder. Crew members have their own version of the ocean concierge service, by which they can verify your identity before any purchases are made, preventing misuse of the medallion.
What if I'm allergic to metal?
A plastic wristband is provided with your Ocean Medallion so that the metal never needs to come in contact with skin.
Will it be compulsory to use the devices in the future?
Anyone that requests to forego the service can do so and continue using the traditional boarding & embarkation process along with key cards.
Will I be tracked off the ship?
The medallion is designed to work wherever the wired technology is installed, which to begin with will just be Medallion Class ships. In the future, this may extend to some private islands as well as some ports and airports to better the service in-land too.
When can I sail Medallion Class?
It has been confirmed that Princess Cruises will be the first Carnival Corporation brand to roll out the Ocean Medallion & Ocean Compass services, and the good news is that it will be available later this year. Seven of their ships have been scheduled to be equipped with the new technology, between this year and 2019:
- Regal Princess - November 2017
- Royal Princess - January 2018
- Caribbean Princess - March 2018
- Island Princess - May 2018
- Golden Princess - October 2018
- Crown Princess - November 2018
- Ruby Princess - January 2019